Wednesday 19 September 2007

Mental Tasks

We are battling on. We have a list of mental task ideas, but unfortunately Harry finds most of them too hard. A lot of the suggestions he wouldn't have a clue about - his favourite seems to be numbers, but I have told him to make the most progress, we must vary the tasks a little. Last night he sang his favourite song to me, so he enjoyed that, but when he finished and I suggested Jack & Jill, he said he didn't know the words - can't remember them. It makes me realise why learning has been so hard for him - he hasn't had the tools in place to retain the information - I'm pleased to say, this seems to be improving as we go through the programme.

3 comments:

Math's Mam said...

Snap, we have to sift throughthe questions to find suitable ones, alphabet forward and backwards. I know they say don't make it too easy but even the easy things are hard for us, BUT I think this is a great way to learn times tables, work on them 10 mins morning and afternoon and they'll soon come (and spellings forwards and backwards):)

Anonymous said...

I also did the times tables with my daughter and she found them difficult but as you say it is great for helping them to learn. I neve did her spelling with her I will have to remember that.
Pleased that Harry is progressing even if he has found the mentals and exercises hard. All that work will pay off in the end. Ellie XXX

JeanLaninga said...

Doing the exercises with the mentals almost seems like going back to BEFORE square one. Songs seem to be easy for my son, or what he did that day; the tasks don't have to be too taxing for Harry, especially at first or for a hard one anyways. And, especially during the already taxing exercises, we go easier on the lists, like there is one with eyes closed on the wobble board, and he'd get kind of green, so we spelled body parts!

These days I get real excited to see just the light bulbs! YAY!